So you’ve taken the leap and signed up to a new gym. Unlucky for you, if you’re reading this, you’re most likely in a place colder than ‘North of the Wall*’...also known as Canberra. Even more unfortunate, you’ve gone and signed up to a CrossFit gym with limited heating and the occasional outdoor run. But don’t go into hibernation mode just yet…
These 5 tips will help you survive the depths of winter and come out a fitter, more resilient athlete as a result:
- Layer up! Don’t be afraid to embrace your inner Michelin Man and don a few layers. We promise as soon as you start the warm up you’ll end up stripping off, but layers will help keep you comfortable for longer. The key here is to think ‘dry’, not just ‘warm’. Spend the money on appropriate fabric that won’t make you super sweaty. The quickest way to lose body heat is by getting wet.
- The 90’s are back and so are fingerless gloves! These babies are lifesavers when it comes to picking up an ice-cold barbell or hanging out on the bar.
- Warm water. It may sound disgusting to some, but a glass of warm water first thing in the morning will get your digestive system ticking, rehydrate you AND warm you from the inside out.
- Head to Toes! If you can’t feel your toes, running, jumping and squatting is THAT much harder. On the other hand, we can lose up to 50 percent of body heat through our heads…so put a cap or beanie on.
- Pucker up. No one likes having dry cracked lips. Keep a stick of lip balm in your gym bag and you can thank us later when your plump matches your pump.
At the end of the day no one can deny that exercising in Canberra during Winter is TOUGH. Let alone at a CrossFit gym. But CrossFit teaches us that strength and resilience is developed through exposure. Exposure to challenges, result in adaptations to our health and fitness. Weather is just another form of exposure. Find a way to overcome or manage it and you’ll find you won’t be relying on it as an excuse to hit the snooze anymore.
*See Game of Thrones. No seriously. Go see it.